- JOB ANNOUNCEMENT -
Type of Position
Full Time, 7:40am - 5:00pm
As a Medical Assistant for Medical Center Eye Clinic, you will assist providers in the examination and treatment of patients, as well as following established standards and practices as directed by the physician and/or clinic supervisor. You will greet patients in the waiting area, assure patient flow runs smoothly and efficiently, and escort patients to the discharge counter. You will be responsible for obtaining patient history: asses/triage the patient, check visual acuity, and review medications and record information on chart.
You must have a HS diploma or equivalent and graduate of accredited certified program of Medical Assisting. Continued education and/or experience in ophthalmology or optometry is preferred. Two years of medical assisting experience is preferred but not required to apply. Experience with EMR is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, telephone, customer service, organizing, and time management skills are essential.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Ability to read and write medical terminology.
- Ability to actively participate in team oriented processes.
- Basic computer skills including familiarity with electronic medical records.
- Completion of accredited medical assisting program desirable.
- Completion of certified ophthalmic assistant program desirable.
- CPR certification.
- Ability to escort or transport patients by wheelchair when appropriate.
- Supports and contributes to effective safety and risk management efforts by adhering to established policies and procedures, maintaining a safe environment, promoting accident prevention and identifying and reporting potential liabilities.
- Review and complete prescription refills.
- Obtain medication authorization as needed.
- Explain treatment procedures and prepare patient and exam room for examination.
- Position instruments and equipment and hand to physician as directed.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and equipment after use.
- Use proper safety techniques and proper disposal measures as outline by regulatory agencies.
- Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies.
- Administer medications and assist physician with any procedures.
- Complete medical chart to include medical services rendered, test results and supplies used.
- Perform patient call backs, arrange referrals and testing, and schedule follow-up appointments.
- Monitor disposable inventory and place orders for medical supplies and pharmaceuticals.
- Perform quality checks on medical equipment.
- Assist registration staff and perform additional clerical duties as necessary.
- Additional duties as assigned by Clinic Supervisor or Administrator.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings.
- Obtain certified ophthalmic assistant designation within two years of working in ophthalmology.
- Continual talking to people in person or on the telephone. Occasional communication via e-mail.
- Continual hearing in person and on the telephone.
- Vision for close work.
- Ability to sit and operate a computer or medical equipment for long periods of time.
- Noise level consistent with that of a busy medical office setting in a “high traffic” are within the office.
You will be expected to understand and adhere to environmental needs of the office, including:
- Safety requirements (i.e. clothing, equipment required, activities performed) consistent with that of a medical office setting.
- Exposures (i.e. fumes, chemicals, vibrations, humidity, cold, heat, dust noise, blood & body fluids) consistent with that of a medical office setting.
- Operation of equipment, tools, vehicles consistent with that of a medical office setting.
- Required hygiene standards (food handling, clean, contaminated and sterile equipment) consistent with that of a medical office setting. Medical Center Eye Clinic strives to keep a fragrance-free environment to benefit those with allergies.
Reports weekly to the Clinic Supervisor or more often as needed. The Medical Assistants work closely with the front office staff, billing staff, providers, patients and outside vendors providing assistance and
information as requested. From time to time, Medical Center Eye Clinic staff members may be asked to participate in a Quality Improvement project in addition to their typical job functions.
This job description is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, and does not limit the assignment of additional duties at the discretion of the manager or supervisor. It may be used as a tool during future performance evaluations.